Re: [whatwg] <menuitem>: Issue reported by the web developers

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:25:38 -0700
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: WHATWG List <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Sanjoy Pal <sanjoy.pal@samsung.com>
So, here's one example of a page putting content inside of <menuitem>:
https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/HealthKit/Reference/HealthKit_Constants/index.html#//apple_ref/c/econst/HKBodyTemperatureSensorLocationRectum

If you use Chrome with the Experimental Web Platform Features flag
turned on (so we actually parse <menuitem>, rather than it being
parsed as an unknown element), you'll see a ton of crap overlaying the
page from the <menu>s.  I'm leaning pretty heavily toward this being a
coincidental name collision; that is, it looks like they're
intentionally unknown elements that happen to be named
<menu>/<menuitem>; the markup has no relation whatsoever to what is
specced.

~TJ