Re: [whatwg] Case-sensitivity of CSS type selectors in HTML

From: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 16:53:07 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 5/7/15 7:16 AM, Rune Lillesveen wrote:
>>
>> This adds an implementation complexity to type selector matching.
>> What's the rationale for matching the selector case-sensitively in the
>> svg case?
>
> The idea is to allow the selector match to be done case-sensitively in all
> cases so it can be done as equality comparison on interned string
> representations instead of needing expensive case-insensitive matching on
> hot paths in the style system.

So there's no author-rationale here?

You mean case-sensitively in the implementation? Type selectors are
case-insensitive for html elements.

The WebKit implementation represents each type selector with two
strings, one lowered and one with original case, when the type
selector is not lower-cased in the source. What does Gecko do?

>> Should we change the spec in this regard?
>
> To what, exactly?  What is your proposed behavior here?

To always match type selectors case-insensitively in html documents.

--
Rune Lillesveen