Re: [whatwg] Persistent and temporary storage

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 11:48:48 -0700
To: Janusz Majnert <j.majnert@samsung.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Janusz Majnert <j.majnert@samsung.com> wrote:
> On 13.03.2015 13:50, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> A big gap with native is dependable storage for applications. I
>> started sketching the problem space on this wiki page:
>>
>>    https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Storage
>>
>> Feedback I got is that having some kind of allotted quota is useful
>> for applications. That way they know how much they can put away.
>> However, this clashes a bit with offering something that is
>> competitive with native.
>>
>> We can't really ask the user to divide up their storage. And yet when
>> the user asks an application to store e.g. a whole bunch of music
>> offline we don't really want the user agent to get in the way if the
>> user already granted persistence.
>
> The real question is why having a quota is useful? Native apps are not
> controlled when it comes to storing data and nobody complains.

Users install a relatively small number of apps, and the uninstall
flow (which deletes their storage) is also trivial.  Users visit a
relatively large number of web-pages (and even more distinct origins,
due to iframes and ads), and we don't have any good notion of
"uninstall" yet on the web; the existing flows for deleting storage
are terrible.

> I think proper solution would be not to restrict the available space, but
> provide GUI for users to:
> * see how much space an app uses (if it exceeds some preset amount)
> * inspect the files in platform's file explorer

Yeah, some improved UI flows along these lines would be hugely helpful
for this kind of thing.

~TJ