Re: [whatwg] Site-Wide Heading Element

On 30.06.15 03:18, Garrett Smith wrote:
> On 6/29/15, Barry Smith <bearzteez@live.com> wrote:
>> From: "Garrett Smith" <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
>>   Hey Garrett,
>>
>> My apologizes for not replying until now.  When I posted my reply to the
>> "Site-Wide Heading Element" thread,  you were right and I should have posted
>>
>> a more complete example.  Here is what I should have given as an example:
>>
>> <header id="banner">
>>      <script src="scripts/header.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
>>      <noscript>
>>      </noscript>
>> </header>
>>
>> Using the <div> element for purely stylistic purposes.  Placing them within
>>
>> the <noscript> element displays the exact same header as is in the embedded
>>
>> <script> element, but without the additional animation used in the
>> javascript file.
>>

> I would use an H1 with text-transform: capitalize and avoid using divs
> and javascript.

I agree with avoiding JavaScript. I am not sure about text-transform,
because I don't know which styling the author had in mind. He may want
to color every word’s first letter differently.

element <span> would seem like the better choice to wrap letters or
single words in the example. But you could wrap the whole line into one

I would not use <h1> because “My Website” is neither a heading for the
content of the page (unless maybe on the front page or a sitemap) nor
for a section of the page. It could be intended as a title for the whole
website, i.e. all its pages together, or as some kind of logo or
branding. I don’t think we have a dedicated element for either of these
interpretations.

Let’s assume we would introduce a new element with the meaning “title
for the entirety of pages of a website”. How would this be interpreted,
if such an element is used with different content on different pages of
the same website? I think such an element would cause inconsistencies
all the time. It isn’t a good idea.

Let’s assume we would introduce a new element with the meaning “logo,
branding”. What would its benefits be compared to <div>? And would
authors still want to use it if add-blockers get a little more
aggressive and offer the option to block logos?

Martin