Re: [whatwg] Icon mask and theme color

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 5:16 PM, Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net> wrote:
> Tab,
>
> (summary: let's put the information inside the SVG file, more below)
>
> Le 18 juin 2015 à 08:41, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> a écrit :
>> better than color averaging.  Averaging seems like it would
>> rarely produce a reasonable color in any multi-color icon,
>
> And we will certainly create rage into Marketing/Communications departments.
>
>> Dominant/first color would at least give you one of the brand colors.
>
> Better, not necessary the best.
> Because of the following reasons:
>
> 1. these icons are specific to the "mask" system.
> 2. SVG format is mandatory [1]
>
> Why not
> * giving more power to the designers,
> * respecting the people in charge of branding,
> * and reducing the source of confusions (people managing the markup != people designing icons)
>
> by including **inside the SVG** the color requirements.

Because having it be determined automatically is simpler and more
likely to give good results broadly.  (This isn't an argument against
having it optionally determined by a specific metadata, of course,
just an argument that *in the absence of more specific information* we
should default to something reasonable from the outside.)

> <metadata>
>   <iconmask:iconmask xmlns:iconmask="http://www.w3.org/ns/@@@something@@">
>       <iconmask:meta name="primary" color="#bada55" />
>       <iconmask:meta name="secondary" color="#505 #123456" />
>   </iconmask:iconmask>
> </metadata>
>
> (better syntax, naming, unicorns are welcome, but that's not currently the point)
>
> [1]: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewInSafari/Articles/Safari_9.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014305-CH9-SW20

SVGWG isn't adding any new namespaces to SVG.  We've discussed in the
WG just adding a <meta name content> element to SVG; that would be
sufficient for this kind of thing.

~TJ