Re: [whatwg] Icon mask and theme color

From: Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:16:33 +0900
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
Tab,

(summary: let's put the information inside the SVG file, more below)

Le 18 juin 2015 à 08:41, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> a écrit :
> better than color averaging.  Averaging seems like it would
> rarely produce a reasonable color in any multi-color icon,

And we will certainly create rage into Marketing/Communications departments.

> Dominant/first color would at least give you one of the brand colors.

Better, not necessary the best.
Because of the following reasons:

1. these icons are specific to the "mask" system.
2. SVG format is mandatory [1]

Why not
* giving more power to the designers,
* respecting the people in charge of branding,
* and reducing the source of confusions (people managing the markup != people designing icons)

by including **inside the SVG** the color requirements.

<metadata>
  <iconmask:iconmask xmlns:iconmask="http://www.w3.org/ns/@@@something@@">
      <iconmask:meta name="primary" color="#bada55" />
      <iconmask:meta name="secondary" color="#505 #123456" />
  </iconmask:iconmask>
</metadata>

(better syntax, naming, unicorns are welcome, but that's not currently the point)

[1]: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewInSafari/Articles/Safari_9.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014305-CH9-SW20

--
Karl Dubost 🐄
http://www.la-grange.net/karl/