Re: [whatwg] A mask="" advisory flag for <link rel=icon>

Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> writes:

> Lately we've identified a need for an additional advisory attribute for
> icons. Modern user interfaces have a flatter, more minimal UI style as
> compared to UIs of the past, and modern devices often feature
> higher-density displays. Legacy favicons don't really do well in these
> new environments—they can come off as garish and pixelated. It'd be
> great if sites could provide a simple, monochrome, scalable icon that
> would fit right in on modern systems. Such an icon could be used as the
> default tile image on Windows, as a template image on OS X and iOS, or a
> system icon in Material Design. These images can be tinted to better fit
> in with the site's theme. Their shape is important and can be used as a
> mask which lets the image be used in a variety of UI contexts.

Please tell me where the requirement for SVG favicons with 100% black
paths comes from. I do not understand why an SVG favicon cannot have
proper SVG colors so there are no interoperability issues with it.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>