Re: [whatwg] "resize" events on elements

From: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:51:00 +1100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>

> On 24 Feb 2015, at 6:32 pm, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
>> The idea was to allow the resize event on elements. I don't really care what the solution is, so maybe someone here can come up with a better idea (size observers?). And of course there are a lot of details to be worked out.
>
> It seems this should be defined by the CSS WG, no? None of the
> standards WHATWG publishes have much bearing on when an element
> resizes so there's no place to put "fire a resize event". I'd expect
> that somewhere within a layout standard.

That's a good point, and I'm happy to keep it in CSS. The reason
I sent the request here is because I figured HTML was the place
that had the existing 'resize' event (for <iframe>... although maybe
it doesn't - I've never read the HTML spec :)

> The only change I would expect here is a change to HTML to make sure
> such an event can be animation frame synchronized.

OK. We'll send an update if we think HTML needs to change.

Dean