Re: [whatwg] "resize" events on elements

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 02:40:10 +0100, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> At the recent Houdini meeting there was a vague agreement between the
> browser engines on adding a way for elements to be notified when their
> size changes. We've run into a number of scenarios where this is
> extremely useful, and is otherwise difficult or annoying (e.g. checking
> your size on a timer).
>
> The idea was to allow the resize event on elements. I don't really care
> what the solution is, so maybe someone here can come up with a better
> idea (size observers?). And of course there are a lot of details to be
> worked out.
>
> If we settle on a solution fairly soon I will implement it in WebKit
> nightly builds so people can play.

I'd like to point out that the <video> element fires a resize event when
the video resource changes size, per spec. I don't know if this is
implemented by anyone, though; likely that event can be renamed.

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/embedded-content.html#the-video-element:event-media-resize

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software