Re: [whatwg] Notifications and service workers

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:35 AM, Andrew Wilson <atwilson@google.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry, I meant that you can only use the 'data' attribute, if the data
> you want to associate with the notification is structured-cloneable. Which
> precludes lots of interesting stuff, like objects with attached methods,
> memoized functions, etc.
>
> I'm aware that 'data' is structured-cloneable - I'm saying that's not
> sufficient for many uses.

Based on your emails later in this thread, it sounds like gmail might
not be relying on being able to associate non-structured-clonable data
with non-persistent Notifications.

However I realized this morning that this actually is doable. You can
simply set "expando" properties, or use a WeakMap, to associate
arbitrary data with a Notification object instance.

So in case it's needed, or just beneficial, this is actually doable.

/ Jonas