Re: [whatwg] Controlling the User-Agent header from script

Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> writes:

> Per XMLHttpRequest User-Agent has been off limits for script. Should
> we keep it that way for fetch()? Would it be harmful to allow it to be
> omitted?
>
> https://github.com/slightlyoff/ServiceWorker/issues/399
>
> A possible attack I can think of would be an firewall situation that
> uses the User-Agent header as authentication check for certain
> resources.

Reporting UA “Mozilla/4.0 (MSIE 6.0';DROP TABLE browsers;--"<u>{!=&})”
broke hilariously many sites when I did have set it as my default UA
string, even though I think it conforms to RFC 2616, section 14.43.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>