Re: [whatwg] Adding a property to navigator for getting device model

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 23:38:04 -0700
To: "eberhard speer jr." <seshat@ducis.net>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM, eberhard speer jr. <seshat@ducis.net> wrote:
> If you are interested in the intricacies of "UA-sniffing", client and
> server-side, the use-cases, the esoterica etc I'll gladly contribute
> what I can.

I guess the question at hand is:

What are the client-side situations when people need to do look up
device capabilities using "UA-sniffing" and DeviceMap? I.e. when can't
they use JS code and the APIs exposed through the DOM to detect what
capabilities are available, and instead they have to look up these
capabilities in DeviceMap?

For server-side UA sniffing these situations are much more clear since
the server has information to *much* less information. I.e. the server
only has access to the headers that the browser sent.

However JS code running in a browser has access to a much richer
amount of information. So when does it need to use DeviceMap?

/ Jonas