Re: [whatwg] Adding a property to navigator for getting device model

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:27 AM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, at 15:01, Jonas Sicking wrote:

>>> I know that the Cordova module for exposing this information is one of
>>> the most popular Cordova modules, so that's a pretty good indication.
>>> But I don't have data directly from websites.
>>
>> When you were pointing that websites currently do UA sniffing is it on
>> the client side of the server side?
>
> I'd imagine UA sniffing happens more often on the server side, though
> I suspect it varies with the reason why people do it.
>
> But the Cordova API is client side, so there's definitely desire to
> have it there too.

I was under the impression that we are mostly talking client-side so
that JavaScript can adapt the choice of features to what is available
in the browser. Server-side information is merely a side effect
(which, of course, is exploited for marketing and other purposes, but
not something we can really avoid).

Silvia.