Re: [whatwg] PSA: Chrome ignoring autocomplete="off" for Autofill data

On 2014-11-14 02:49, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> Unfortunately, even if a couple pages have a legitimate use for a
> feature, when countless thousands of pages abuse it, the feature needs
> to go. The damage to people's day-to-day experience outweighs any
> benefits by orders of magnitude.
>>   Also, banks generally prefer to have autocomplete="off" for credit card
>> numbers, names, addresses etc. for security reasons. And that is now to be
>> ignored?
> Yes, absolutely.  My bank's preference is irrelevant.  It's my browser, not
> my bank's.  This is *exactly* the sort of misuse of this feature which
> makes it need to be removed.

By default ignoring autocomplete="off" (unless the user crawls into the
browser settings, possibly under advanced settings somewhere?)
then those who miss-use it today will continue to do so.

Take the following example (tested only in Firefox and Chrome).
http://jsfiddle.net/gejm3jn1/

Is that what you want them to start doing?
If a bank or "security" site wishes to have input fields without
autocomplete they can just use textarea.
Are you going to enforce autocomplete="on" for textarea now?

Why not improve the way autocomplete works so there is a incentive to
use it the right way? (sorry I don't have any clever suggestions on that
front).

My only suggestion now is:
Default to autocomplete="off" working just as today.
Provide a setting under Privacy settings in the browser (global). There
are also per site privacy settings possible so (site specific).
Then add a contexts menu to all input field where autocomplete can be
enabled/disabled. (Spellcheck already does this for example in most
browsers).

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/