Re: [whatwg] `brand-color` meta extension

On June 26, 2014 at 2:17:22 PM, Ian Hickson (ian@hixie.ch) wrote:
> > I think it would make sense to allow vendors to treat these all
> as
> independent values (in particular, we wouldn't want IE to be
> forced to
> extend their interpretation of "msapplication-TileColor"
> and
> "msapplication-navbutton-color" to be redundant), but I do
> think it would
> make sense to encourage UAs to draw colours from whichever values
> are
> provided, so that authors don't have to include different values
> for each
> browser.

I would be in favor of this. It would be good to support the legacy content as its use on the Web is significant. Search I did back in Oct 2013 found these proprietary tags appeared on something like 1% of pages in Alexa's top 78K pages (specially the msTileColor one is quite popular). I don't have the data any more, unfortunately - but could get it again if needed. The thing would be to see if it really does make sense to reuse those things in contexts where `brand-color` is to be used and not produce unexpected results.

--
Marcos Caceres