Re: [whatwg] brand-color meta extension

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014, Tao Bai wrote:

> The brand color is super set of them and not limited to use in the
> navbutton or status bar, furthermore, not all browsers have navbutton or
> status concept, it makes developer confused.

I don't think it confuses authors any more, and possibly a lot less, than
having three ways to do essentially the same thing.

> The "msapplication-navbutton-color" and
> "apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" are prefix and browser specific,
> brand-color is general and could be standard for all browsers.

That the keywords are prefixed is a mistake made by the relevant vendors,
but I don't think it should stop us from using them if they are
appropriate.

Looking at those two keywords more closely, it seems that
"apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" wouldn't work because it doesn't
take a CSS colour, it takes some specific keywords. However,
"msapplication-navbutton-color", and, maybe better,
"msapplication-TileColor", seem like pretty good fits to me. I don't
really understand why one would avoid just reusing those, either instead
of, or at least as well as, a newer more generic term.