Re: [whatwg] SVG cloning elements from HTML5

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> <!DOCTYPE HTML>
> <svg>
> the elements "s" and "i" are put in the HTML namespace already.

As siblings of the <svg> element, though, not descendants.

This was required to get some level of compatibility with deployed content
while still allowing <svg> in HTML. There was content out there that, for
reasons that defeat me, had <svg> start tags (but not end tags). If we had
not introduced this limited trap door out of the foreign lands (it's a
hard-coded list of tag names that bail out in this way), it would have
caused the pages to be blank from the <svg> start tag to the end.