Re: [whatwg] High-density canvases

+1 from me too. But I have one concern in terms of future proofing, because
I would like to keep the door open for auto-resizing as a possible future
improvement. In an eventual auto-resize proposal, we will want to make
the "preferredsizechange"
event cancelable.  If we make the event non-cancelable initially, does that
lock us in forever in terms of spec backward compatibility? If the answer
is no, then +1 to Robert's proposal as is.

In terms of accommodating the possibility of auto-resizing with a command
buffer backed implementation, we should be able to add the necessary
signals for short-circuiting a full JS redraw by adding event attributes
and/or new event types on top of the current proposal.