Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Inline pronounce element (Tab Atkins Jr.)

On Jun 5, 2014, at 22:08, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp
> <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
>> Brett Zamir <brettz9@yahoo.com> writes:

>>> I think it'd be a lot easier for sites, say along the lines of
>>> Wikipedia, to support inline markup to allow users to get a word
>>> referenced at the beginning of an article, for example, pronounced
>>> accurately.
>>
>> Is there any reason one cannot use the <ruby> element for pronunciation?
>>
>> Example:

> That's adequate for visually providing the pronunciation, but I think
> the original request was for a way to tell screen readers and similar
> tools how to pronounce an unfamiliar word.

True, but one could still use <ruby> for its semantics, and visually use the CSS to hide the pronunciations:

  rp, rt, rtc { display: none; }

Screen readers may have supported reading text in <rt> instead of its base text when they supported Japanese. At least some screen readers in Japan does this.

/koji