Re: [whatwg] Proposal: navigator.launchURL

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:28 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> They can use window.open() today. It's just that it causes a bit of
> flicker for now. IMHO the flicker is just a bug we should fix.
>
> Introducing a new API that literally doesn't do anything you can't already
> do is a pretty high cost, IMHO.

It seems there are some potential differences:

* You cannot detect if window.open() failed (e.g. the user declined to
open the application or the browser failed to find an application)
* If the scheme is mapped to an http/https URL it is unclear:
** whether you get a new top-level browsing context or if you get an
auxiliary browsing context (i.e. what window.opener return?)
** if a referrer is included
** if credentials are included

And the open question for those is whether those differences are
desirable and should perhaps be configurable.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/