Re: [whatwg] Comments on <dialog>

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014, Brian Blakely wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Dec 2013, Brian Blakely wrote:
> > >
> > > This is what the shadow DOM would look like for modal dialogs:
> > >
> > > ::modal
> > > -  ::backdrop
> > > -  <dialog>
> > >
> > > ::modal is <dialog>'s ancestor, and is available when showModal is
> > > called. This allows authors to set CSS overflow to whichever value
> > > suits their use-case, and for user agents to establish overflow:
> > > auto as the default, making the dialog inherently pannable when it
> > > exceeds the viewport.
> >
> > That seem somewhat novel, from the CSS perspective. I'll have to defer
> > to implementors as to how feasible something like that is. [...]
>
> ::modal is essentially a named alias for ::outside (
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-content/#wrapping), which, sadly, has not been
> implemented anywhere and hasn't seen public movement in quite a long
> while.

Yeah. ::outside is pretty novel also, from a CSS perspective. That might
well be why it hasn't gone anywhere since I originally specced it in early
2002/2003. I think it'd be great for it to be implemented, but we're more
likely to get there by pushing ::outside than trying to push a special
case version of it, I think.