[whatwg] <meta referrer> as "always-origin"

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:28:25 -0700
To: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Sid Stamm <sid@mozilla.com>
Hi All,

Right now the <meta referrer> spec has two separate features:

You can specify a "origin" policy which enables sending just the
origin whenever a referrer is sent.

You can also specify "always" in order to override UA policies like
"don't send referrer when navigating from https to http sites".

However you currently can't combine the two. I.e. if you want to
override UA policies, you are forced to send the whole URL string.
This seems counter intuitive since that's when you might really want
to just send the origin.

Could we introduce a "always-origin" value for <meta referrer> which
combines the "origin" and "always" policies?

/ Jonas