Re: [whatwg] Counterproposal for canvas in workers

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:25:18 +1300
To: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Cc: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> "transferToImageBuffer" looks like it would create a new ImageBuffer for
> each frame, so you'd need to add a close() method to make sure they don't
> accumulate due to GC lag,

That's a good point. We will need something like that. It would only neuter
that thread's (main thread or worker thread) version of the ImageBitmap.

and it seems like turning this into a fast buffer swap under the hood would
> be harder.

I don't see why.

> Also, with the "transferToImageBuffer" approach, if you want to render
> from a worker into multiple canvases in the UI thread, you have to post
> those ImageBuffers over to the main thread each frame, which has the same
> (potential) synchronization issues as the transferDrawingBufferToCanvas
> proposal.

What are those issues? You can do a single postMessage passing a complete
set of ImageBItmaps.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*