Re: [whatwg] Canvas in workers

From: Justin Novosad <junov@google.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:13:05 -0400
To: "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Kyle Huey <me@kylehuey.com>, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:35 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, right. That factory method is already spec'ed on the
>> WorkerGlobalScope [1]. It actually returns a Promise, so presumably
>> transferToImageBitmap would have to as well.
>>

> The whole point of transferToImageBitmap is that it's really fast, so I
> don't see why it has to be async.

True. I also wonder why all of the currently spec'ed ImageBitmap creation
methods are async. I think asynchrony makes sense when creating
ImageBitmaps from blobs, image elements and video elements, which may not
be in an immediately accessible state, but creating an ImageBitmap from a
Canvas or canvas context (or a WorkerCanvas) could be immediate.