Re: [whatwg] Questions regarding Path object

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:52:40 +0000 (UTC)
To: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org>
Cc: Juriy Zaytsev <kangax@gmail.com>, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, Jürg Lehni <lists@scratchdisk.com>, "whatwg@lists.whatwg.org" <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Elliott Sprehn wrote:

> Then I object to us shipping this in Chrome. Bleeding on the global
> scope with such a generic name ignoring all the other reasonable uses of
> the word Path is not good for the platform. It's not forward thinking,
> and it's confusing for developers.

The name issue was raised before (the name clashes with the paper.js
library, IIRC), but no vendor had objected (the feature was added over a
year ago now - March 2012), the suggested alternative names weren't great,
the compatibility issue wasn't huge, and so I left it as is, and Apple
shipped it. Changing it now seems like a poor time to change it.

...but, if you won't ship it, maybe we need to change it after all? Would
Apple ship a different name? What are Mozilla's opinions?