Re: [whatwg] The src-N proposal

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:37:53 +0200
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Cc: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@gmail.com>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> It's easy to look at something more complex than what you're used to
>>> and dismiss all the excess as unneeded, but it's really, seriously not
>>> in this case.  The things I'm addressing are the things that RICG
>>> research found were common and necessary, no more and no less.
>>
>> Big +1 to that -- src-N addresses all the RICG use cases in a consistent and
>> coherent way..
>
> I don't think that's a valuable goal.  My preference would be to
> address only the device-pixel-ratio use case in this iteration.
> I'd rather ship something that's
> useful today and iterate to improve it in the future than not ship
> anything for a long time.

Just like AppCache, srcset is not something that you can iterate on.
You can't add features without breaking compatibility.

Unlike <picture>, src-N isn't substantially harder than srcset to
implement, so we might as well address more use cases in one go. I
think ignoring some of the use cases while pretending that srcset is
the first iteration when it's design is unsuited for iteration is a
bad idea.

I think srcset should be taken out of the spec ASAP before WebKit
ships it and we get stuck with something that doesn't allow iteration.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi