Re: [whatwg] The src-N proposal

From: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:46:52 -0800
To: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@gmail.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> It's easy to look at something more complex than what you're used to
>> and dismiss all the excess as unneeded, but it's really, seriously not
>> in this case.  The things I'm addressing are the things that RICG
>> research found were common and necessary, no more and no less.
>
> Big +1 to that -- src-N addresses all the RICG use cases in a consistent and
> coherent way..

I don't think that's a valuable goal.  My preference would be to
address only the device-pixel-ratio use case in this iteration.

> and is the only option that does so. Serving images in our
> new multi-device / responsive design world *is* a much harder problem and
> the "complexity" of src-N is simply a reflection of that.. Sticking our
> heads in the sand and pretending that this is not the case, or punting the
> problem down the road (as we've already done for the past few years), is not
> a sound strategy.

If we wait for agreement about how to address the other use cases, we
won't ship anything for a long time.  I'd rather ship something that's
useful today and iterate to improve it in the future than not ship
anything for a long time.

Adam