Re: [whatwg] CanvasRenderingContext2D with addPath, currentPath

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 02:22:36 +0000 (UTC)
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Cc: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>

(Please don't cross-post to the WHATWG list and other lists, as it causes
thread fragmentation when people not on the WHATWG list respond.)

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> The latest Safari is shipping currentPath and Blink has implemented it
> behind a runtime flag.
> Could we put this in the specification?

What's the use case?

I intentionally didn't add this to the spec when I was adding the last set
of path-related features, because it seems entirely redundant with Path
objects. I thought we'd want people to move away from using the implicit
path, rather than making it more powerful.

> the proposal is for a new attribute on the 2d canvas rendering context:
>
> attribute Path currentPath;
>
> This attribute would give you a non-live/copy of the current path in device
> space.

If it returns a copy, it should be a method.