Re: [whatwg] HTML differences from HTML4 document updated

Good day,

Let us start with a definition:

es·o·ter·ic
/ˌesəˈterik/
Adjective
Intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people
with a specialized knowledge or interest.

The document Simon delivered and formatted is useful to a wide range of
audiences interested in HTML and how it differs from a previous named
release of the HTML roadmap, so I'm not sure calling the title of the
document "esoteric" is accurate.

Regardless of that, if the title is obscure, could you please offer up
title suggestions so that your posting becomes more constructive?  Keep in
mind that an existing document [1] on the whatwg.org site references HTML
version 4 as "HTML4" already, so there is a precedent set for this.  I do
not think this will confuse anybody, and it would have to be changed
throughout documents on the entire site to be consistent.  I'd like to
propose that both nomenclatures are valid when referring to the entire HTML
4 specification.

The important thing (IMHO) to remember here regarding the title is that
HTML released two subversions of HTML 4, HTML 4.0 [2] and HTML 4.01 [3].
The document must be intended as a differentiation between the entire
version of HTML4, since it does not specify a specific subversion to diff?
However, it links to the HTML 4.01 specification in the "References"
section.  If this is *only* a diff between HTML 4.01 and the living
standard, perhaps the title should then be "HTML differences from HTML
4.01" so that the document has additional meaning.  If there are
differences between HTML 4.0, HTML 4.01, *and* HTML5 in the same section of
the document, those should probably be appropriately marked.

--Xaxio