Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Adding methods like getElementById and getElementsByTagName to DocumentFragments

From: Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 08:42:50 +0300
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Tim Streater <tim@clothears.org.uk>, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Zirak A <zirak@mail.com>
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:39 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:

> getElementById is okay but we want to discourage authors from using
> methods like getElementsByTagName and getElementsByClassName that return
> live NodeList objects. They incur a lot of implementation cost in WebKit
> and hurts the DOM performance. e.g. whenever there is a LiveNode list
> somewhere in a document, WebKit walks up all ancestors of an inserted or
> removed element to clear their live node lists' caches.

Argh, I had forgotten about live NodeLists. OK, this is a reason that
resonates with me and justifies calling these methods obsolete. Too bad
these methods are so badly flawed and that it's not worth the cost to try
to fix those methods to return something other than a live NodeList. As for
getElementById(), I'm not sure how useful that is by itself.

Cheers,
Jussi