Re: [whatwg] API to delay the document load event

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:51:12 -0400
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On 4/29/13 6:50 AM, James Graham wrote:
> So far we have kept the model where the load event is auomatically
> managed by the UA, rather than giving the developer direct control of it.

Developers already have direct control over the load event to the extent
being proposed, as far as I can tell.  Consider this:

   var blockers = [];
   function blockOnload() {
     var i = document.createElement("iframe");
     document.documentElement.appendChild(i);
     blockers.push(i.contentDocument);
     i.contentDocument.open();
   }

   function unblockOnload() {
     blockers.pop().close();
   }

Of course expecting web developers to come up with this themselves and
have to redo all this boilerplate is not reasonable, not to mention the
pollutes-the-DOM and uses-way-too-much-memory aspect of it all.

-Boris