Re: [whatwg] Including HTML more directly into SVG

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2012 11:35 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
>> > wrote:
>> > Also, how does your proposal address
>> > flowing text inside of a <path>?
>>
>> That's a good question!  Presumably you mean that, for example, one
>> might want to have emphasized text in a text-along-a-path flow?  I
>> suppose it should be as easy as making them children of a <textPath>,
>> and setting "display:svg" to make them obey SVG rendering rules rather
>> than the CSS box model.
>
> I mean if you look at the svg flow spec there's an example of text inside a
> polygon or even text flowing inside of large bubble letters.
>
> Similar concept as CSS exclusions, but it doesn't make sense to specify the
> polygon twice to use that.

The SVG flow spec was never implemented by browsers, to my knowledge.

I don't understand the relevance of this question.  Presumably one
could just use CSS Exclusions.

>> > A strawman of the JSON spec rewritten with your proposal would be
>> > useful.
>>
>> I don't understand this request.
>
> Sorry its not the JSON spec, it just had a similar theme (my confusion). I
> meant could you rewrite the railroad svg from your original email to show
> how this is better?
>
> http://www.xanthir.com/etc/railroad-diagrams/example.html

It wouldn't be *significantly* changed in my diagram - I'll still need
to measure things, because I need to attach lines to the edges and
make other parts respond to the width.  My diagram would just benefit
from being able to draw a single element rather than a <rect>+<text>
pair.

However, some of my other examples from my original post would be
significantly simplified.  Anything that needs text-wrapping, or which
is simply positioning the text somewhere without needing much
coordination with other elements (like some text on or around a
graph).

~TJ