Re: [whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 17:43:11 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> 5)  Save command stream.
> 6)  Have a way for pages to explicitly snapshot a canvas.
> 7)  Require opt in for hardware accelerated rendering.
>
> Any others?
>
> Of the above, I don't think #5 and #7 are realistic, for what it's
> worth.  I haven't put enough thought into the rest yet to decide what I
> think about them.

Would a mix of #5 and snapshotting work?

1. create a (fixed-size?) append-only buffer for drawing commands,
2. log all drawing commands until the buffer is full or a
non-cheaply-serializable command (e.g. draw of <video>) is executed,
3. snapshot,
4. empty the buffer
5. goto 2

That could make readbacks much less frequent. Would this still be a
prohibitively expensive solution?

--
regards, Kornel