Re: [whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 23:47:57 +0200, Tobie Langel <tobie.langel@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I apologize in advance, as this is slightly off-topic. I've been
> unsuccessfully looking for info on how Canvas hardware acceleration
> actually works and haven't found much.
>
> Would anyone have pointers?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --tobie

I think that varies a lot between the vendors and I haven't seen any
externally available documentation on the topic. In general, images are
drawn as textured quads, paths are triangulated and drawn as as tristrips.
Some level of caching are performed to reduce draw calls and improve
performance. Some hard to do things (on hardware) make use of stencil
buffers and multipass rendering. I think that's as specific info you'll
get.

If you're really interested, run your favourite browser through PIX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIX_(Microsoft)

--
Erik Möller
Core Gfx Lead