Re: [whatwg] URL: file: URLs

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:38:36 +0100, Benjamin Smedberg
<benjamin@smedbergs.us> wrote:

> On 10/30/2012 7:41 PM, João Eiras wrote:
>>

>> I currently do not have Windows to test but I think I recall IE (or
>> Opera?) opening file://server/share if there was a network share at
>> \\server\share
> Firefox has considered and rejected that kind of proposal for security
> reasons. I can't find the bug right now, but I suspect that we would not
> implement that feature even if it were specced.

Obviously supporting such thing would require implementing security checks
between origins, and the origin generation algorithm updated to allow
file://host, while currently it specifies that all file: uris have a null
origin.

And, FF is no the only program that can interpret file uris. Any
application should be able to open file uris, just like they can open
local file paths now, or http uris.