Re: [whatwg] Encoding: API

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>> * TextDecoder.decode()'s view argument is no longer optional. Why should
>> it be?
>
> It buffers the "EOF byte" when in streaming mode, eg. when the last byte of
> the stream is a UTF-8 continuation byte, so any encode errors are triggered.
>
>> * TextEncoder.encode()'s input argument is no longer nullable. Again,
>> why should it be?
>
> Likewise for encoding, to flush errors for trailing high surrogates.

I made these arguments optional now (and named them both input). Note
however that the way you get the EOF byte/EOF code point is by
omitting the dictionary (whose stream member defaults to false), but I
can see how not passing any arguments as a final call is convenient.

https://github.com/whatwg/encoding/commit/39a201a5cdf43be3d49c6bac7952a0ecb225886b

>> I also raised the issue of whether TextEncoder should really support
>> utf-16/utf-16be as the encoding standard tries to deprecate non-utf-8
>> encodings.
>
> The whole point of this API is to support legacy file formats that use other
> encodings.  (It's probably questionable to not support other encodings, too,
> eg. filenames in ZIP file headers, but starting out with Unicode is fine.)

I thought it was mostly about reading legacy formats, but fair enough.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/