Re: [whatwg] Media queries, viewport dimensions, srcset and picture

The patern thing is tangential. SRCSET using image dimensions instead of screen dimensions would work just as well, so would picture if it was set up to allow saying what the dimensions of each image are.

I would argue that this does address the pixel density issue though. It does it in the same way it handles em, rem, or percentage based designs: by ignoring all  that stuff and just picking the image that best fits the available hardware pixels. It's more future proof too, since you "200w 200h 2x" image could also stand in as your "100w 100h 4x" image, if/when something like that comes out,  without any updates needed.

Art direction is solved in a simialir way: don't provide any images that look bad, and don't size the img element to a size you don't have a picture for.

Using the image dimensions instead of the screen dimensions also solves the "desktop first" vs "mobile first" dilemma. Syndication becomes easier (or are your breakpoints the same as readability's?), updating the design becomes easier (no editing every image in every post because a breakpoint changed) and really simplifies use cases like the following:

You're making a grid of thumbnails. At it's largest size, it's three images across. It stays this way until the images are 2/3 their size, at which point it changes to 2 columns at the original size. When the images hit half their original size, it switches to one column, full size. So one image is created at the three most likely sizes (1/1, 1/2, 1/3) and then srcset is used to make sure the

--
Mike Gossmann