Re: [whatwg] An alternative to <picture> and srcset, is this realistic?

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Matthew Wilcox <mail@matthewwilcox.com> wrote:
> All good points, thanks. Sorry I'd missed you saying <style> rather
> than <link/>, my bad!
>
> I had assumed that we would be able to take the logic for resolving
> media query applicability directly from that in CSS, which is why I
> have not given it any further thought. It seemed like a solved issue.

Heh, it *is* solved by CSS, it's just that the solution is "somewhere
between none and all of them apply", which works for CSS but not for
yours. ^_^

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> That's why I mentioned an inline<style>  at the top of the<body>  -
>> I'm not sure if browsers skip past that when building the tree or not,
>

> They certainly skip past such things when prefetching.
>
> Putting information that needs to affect prefetching in elements where the
> HTML tokenizer can extract it is vastly better than putting it into elements
> where it can't (like <style>).

That's what I was afraid of.  All right, then, ignore that part of the
suggestion.  This should live in HTML if it lives anywhere.

~TJ