[whatwg] Using SVG instead of Canvas for extensions

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:47:52 +1300
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gecko completely punts rendering foreignObject to a canvas

I don't think it does. See
http://robert.ocallahan.org/2011/11/drawing-dom-content-to-canvas.html and
http://people.mozilla.org/~roc/rendering-HTML-elements-to-canvas.html. The
demo works fine for me in Gecko.

while Webkit will let you do fun things like render a browser native
> control (ex. <button>) to a canvas by embedding it into SVG.

Rendering controls works in Gecko too. We disable platform-specific theming
of the controls as a conservative measure.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us