[whatwg] Using SVG instead of Canvas for extensions

From: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:30:48 -0800
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > Whether other UAs can fix this bug on their end faster than they can add
> > various canvas APIs is an interesting discussion, I suppose.
> >

> Of course it's vastly better for the Web platform for browsers to fix their
> bugs than add new APIs to work around the bugs :-)

I completely agree and it's good to see Gecko has fixed this, we'll have to
see what happens in Webkit though. Last I talked with Adam Barth early last
year there were still security concerns with allowing SVG images to render
to a canvas without tainting it.

Gecko completely punts rendering foreignObject to a canvas while Webkit
will let you do fun things like render a browser native control (ex.
<button>) to a canvas by embedding it into SVG.

I suppose the presence of foreignObject could taint it, though at some
point we should work out the issue of rendering same domain HTML this way.

- E