[whatwg] Proposal for autocompletetype Attribute in HTML5 Specification

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Nathan Ziarek <nziarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...as I'm in the middle of a project implementing schema.org markup, is
> there any consideration of using those properties as the tokens within the
> autocomplete attribute?
>
> While not perfectly compatible, it would lessen the burden on
> developers?"Is it given-name or givenName for form fields?"

The current set of tokens was chosen to match the hCard [
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard ] naming as much as possible.
 Unfortunately, it's not possible to match all of the major naming schemes
without bloating the token space with lots of redundant tokens.

> ?and schema.org's notion of scoping might prove a better solution than
> the section- nomenclature. After all, form elements already have a grouping
> element in <fieldset>.

We considered this, but realized that structural scope does not necessarily
match semantic scope for many existing web forms.  The most common reason
for this is using <table> elements to control layout :/

> In any case, I echo Jon's sentiment: looking forward to it!

:)

?