[whatwg] The blockquote element spec vs common quoting practices

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:04:13 +0200
2012-02-12 8:36, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:

>> Since in current usage, <blockquote>  means just ?indent? more often
>> than not, browsers and search engines should not and will not imply
>> any specific semantics for it. Thus it will be pointless to use it.
>
> Riveting tale, chap. Can you provide proof?

Regarding browsers and search engines, what else could constitute a
proof than the absence of any information about them doing anything with
that is.

Regarding the usage, I have not collected statistics on this during my
20 years of browsing web pages, and I don?t think anyone has. So
objective argumentation is somewhat difficult. In this discussion, I
mentioned the WIPO document
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/trtdocs_wo001.html
issued by a reputable organization, and if you look at the source code,
you?ll see that the page uses <blockquote> just for subparagraphs, not
for quotations. I?m sure that if you start looking around, you?ll see

Yucca