[whatwg] RWD Heaven: if browsers reported device capabilities in a request header (Boris Zbarsky)

On 2/6/12 5:21 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> I can't remember where right now, but I do recall seeing an article
> which said that it was a common misconception that mobile devices were
> most often on a slow connection. Personally, I tend to make most use of
> my mobile for browsing when I'm on a wireless connection. Just because
> someone is using a mobile device, it doesn't naturally mean they are on
> the move.

And even if you are on the move, EVDO rev B is in the 5-15 Mbit/s range,
and HSPA+ services that deliver 28 Mbit/s are on the market right now,
with theoretical peak bandwidth for the standard closer to either 84
Mbit/s or 168Mbit/s depending on the hardware configuration.

A real problem with network performance on many cell networks is not the
bandwidth, which is at least comparable to basic DSL, but latency.  Of
course for latency issues image size is a smaller problem, and desktops
on sattelite connections have latency issues of their own....

-Boris