[whatwg] On using abbr with no title and screen readers

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 20:30:22 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, Jorge wrote:

> I am trying to make myself clear on how and when to use abbr, if at all,
> specifically when it does not need expansion and hence does not a title
> attribute.

If you don't need expansion, then the only reason to use <abbr> is to have
a styling hook (e.g. if you want to make your abbreviations small caps, or
want to change how a speech browser reads out the abbreviation -- both of
these would be controlled either via CSS, or by the browsers' default or
user settings, or in heuristics similar to those you described).

I haven't updated the spec on this matter; please let me know if you think
the spec could be clarified in a helpful way here.