Re: [whatwg] Fwd: fallback section taking over for 4xx and 5xx responses while online

From: Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 15:44:56 -0800
To: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>
Cc: "whatwg@lists.whatwg.org" <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
It'd be loads better if application logic were directly responsible for
making these sort of policy decisions regarding what cached resource to use
under what circumstance. Obscure least-common-denominator rules baked into
the user agent with even more obscure ways to override that
least-common-denominator behavior just isn't working out very well.

> In my opinion the UA should *always* use server returned...

And in some other developers opinion, that would defeat efforts to make the
client resilient to 5xx errors.