Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Loading and executing script as quickly as possible using multipart/mixed

On Dec 3, 2012, at 2:11 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan@chromium.org> wrote:

> Unless I am misunderstanding, SPDY will not solve this problem. SPDY uses
> prioritized multiplexing of streams.

It seems to me like SPDY could make this case work better:

<script async src="path/to/script-part1.js"></script>
<script async src="path/to/script-part2.js"></script>
<script async src="path/to/script-part3.js"></script>

Specifically the individual script chunks could be ordered and prioritized such that all of script-part1.js transfers before any of script-part3.js. That's harder to do with HTTP because the scripts could be loading on wholly separate HTTP connections, while SPDY will use one connection to the server.

That being said, I do not know if SPDY will actually achieve this. Presumably it makes sense for it to serialize within a given priority level, at least a priority level that's likely to correspond to resources that are only atomically consumable, like scripts. But I don't know if SPDY implementations really do that.

 - Maciej