[whatwg] Autofocus readonly Input Elements

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 08:40:52 -0700
On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Kaustubh Atrawalkar <kaustubh at motorola.com
> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

>>> if
>>> on

>>> Right. The question is whether read-only/disabled/hidden inputs should be
>>> focusable.
>>>

>> Readonly elements are focusable both in IE and WebKit.
>>

> Agree, then they can be autofocus-able as well as per algorithm.

No, I don't necessarily conclude that. Backward compatibility is more
important than the spec. The spec should reflect the reality of the Web if
any.

 I don't personally see pros and cons in either direction, but I
>>> wanted to make sure there was agreement here before changing WebKit's
>>> behavior.
>>>

>> The question is whether or not there's any backward compatibility issue
>> given the market share of IE and WebKit today.
>>
>> Unless user gives a readonly element autofocus attribute this wont be
> triggered. And when user explicitly add autofocus he expects it to be
> focused. But still, the question remains with which behavior we should
> comply.

Having said that, I agree with you. If the author explicitly adds autofocus
attribute, it seems more natural to think the element should be
auto-focusable.

- Ryosuke