[whatwg] Proposal for improved handling of '#' inside of data URIs

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:19:56 +0200
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 23:15:09 +0200, Daniel Holbert <dholbert at mozilla.com>
wrote:

> Hi whatwg,
>
> I'm writing with a proposal to improve the handling of "#" in data URIs.
> I'm particularly looking for feedback from other browser vendors, but of
> course feedback from others is welcome as well.
>
> SUMMARY:
> ========
> Browsers handle the "#" character in data URIs very differently, and the
> arguably "correct" behavior is probably not what authors actually want
> in many cases.

Making it magic seems confusing and error prone. Making data: URLs not
support fragments at all seems to be taking away a useful feature. I think
we should stick to the "correct" behavior and always treat # as fragment
delimiter in data: URLs. I thought we did this already in Opera but
apparently we have some bugs. If you have any test cases demonstrating
where Opera doesn't follow the spec, that would be helpful in getting it
fixed.

cheers
--
Simon Pieters