[whatwg] Peer-to-peer use case (was Peer-to-peer communication, video conferencing, <device>, and related topics)

On 2011-03-22 11:01, Stefan H?kansson LK wrote:
> On 2011-03-18 05:45, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>
>> All of this except selectively muting audio vs video is currently
>> possible in the proposed API.
>>
>> The simplest way to make selective muting possible too would
>> be to change
>> how the pause/resume thing works in GeneratedStream, so that
>> instead of
>> pause() and resume(), we have individual controls for audio
>> and video.
>> Something like:
>>
>>     void muteAudio();
>>     void resumeAudio();
>>     readonly attribute boolean audioMuted;
>>     void muteVideo();
>>     void resumeViduo();
>>     readonly attribute boolean videoMuted;
>>
>> Alternatively, we could just have mutable attributes:
>>
>>     attribute boolean audioEnabled;
>>     attribute boolean videoEnabled;
>>
>> Any opinions on this?
> We're looking into this and will produce a more elaborate input related to this.

Basically we would like to be able to address the Stream components
individually and also not limit them to zero or one audio and zero or
one video components per Stream. That way we could activate/deactivate
them individually and also split out components and combine components
from different Stream objects into a new Stream object.

One good use case is the multi-party video conference where you would
like to record the audio from all participants using a StreamRecorder.
This would be done by taking the audio component from the local
GeneratedStream and combining it with the audio components from the
remote streams to form a new Stream object which can then be recorded.

This could also be a way to handle multiple cameras such as front and
back cameras of mobile devices that was mentioned in another thread.
When playing a Stream containing several video components, the first
active component (if any) would be shown. Active audio components would
be mixed.

//Per-Erik