[whatwg] Proposal for @label attribute associated with kind=metadata TimedTextTracks

On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:47 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Ah, now I understand.  You're referring to this as a "@label attribute".
> Attributes only exist on elements, which is why I thought you had suddenly
> switched to talking about out-of-band <track> elements.  The term you want
> is "property" to refer to properties on the javascript objects. ^_^

Ah, yes, now I understand the confusion.  Within the whatwg specs, the word "attribute" is generally used and I was trying to be consistent.

> > If an in-band kind=metadata track appears, what kind of information does
> it contain? ?Can you tell by looking at the DOM? ?Can you tell by looking at the
> cue's text?
>
> What kind of data *is* carried by in-band metadata tracks?

I'm familiar with metadata tracks containing: content advisories, ad insertion triggers, and application signaling; each with their own format.  There is a lot of activity in this area, so the types/formats of metadata tracks is likely to increase for a while.

- Eric